Bollywood Villains June 24, 2008Posted by astralwicks in Bollywood Villains, Culture, Films, india, Movies, Villains from Films.
Tags: best bollywood villains, best of hindi villain list, bollywood bad guys, Bollywood List, cinema lists, evil men of bollywood, famous villains from Bollywood, film list, Indian Film List, Indian Villains, memorable hindi film villains, villain list
I have joined a new office. Everybody comes in quite leisurely and considering that this is Bombay I find it quite surprising. I tend to come in by 10 (today I was in at 9.40) and leave by 7.
I have to make presentations for pitches to various channels. Unfortunately, I still don’t have a permanent place and am right now sitting out in the open. By noon, the office is buzzing and it’s a miracle to get anything done.
The others in the office seem to be geniuses who do what they can in the noise around. I don’t get an AC vent near my seat and the window’s can’t be opened because it opens onto the streets – all kinds of vehicles pass me by with blazing horns.
So me is free what with all presentations done. I thought of making lists. Please feel free to contribute.
Top Villains from Hindi Films
- Gabbar Singh (Sholay. Everybody knows about Gabbar and nobody has the balls to murmur dissent…nahin to Gabbar aa jayega)
- Mogambo (Mr. India. Shekhar Kapur’s famous concoction whose orgasmic ‘Mogambo Khush Hua’ is spine-chilling)
- Shakaal (Shaan. Another stylized villain from Ramesh Sippy who could do no wrong those heady days)
- Anna (Parinda. Vidu Vinod’s psychotic genius whose views on the world, relationships and business are true and scary)
- Dr. Dang (Karma. Anupam Kher before he became a buffoon)
- Balwant Rai (Ghaayal. Amrish Puri’s piano playing bad man act was a vintage act and who can forget ‘Blawant Rai ke kutton…’)
- JK (Shahenshah. A lech and his reasons for drinking Black Dog are now legendary
- Shetty (Ardh Satya. Real and nonchalant. Sadhashiv Amprapurkar showed his potential and faded away, but Shetty will always be remembered)
- Subedar (Mirch Masala. Naseruddin Shah’s unremitting lust for Smita Patil and his searing punishment at the end make this a fascinating piece of villainy)
- Kancha Cheena (Agneepath. Decadent and dangerous Danny’s suave persona was at its height in this Mukul Anand masterpiece)
- Shakaal (Yaadon Ki Baraat. The inimitable Ajit (of Loin fame) at his peak. Sophisticated, sarcastic and never in a hurry)
- Sher Khan (Zanjeer. Pran’s entry in this film is legendary and so too is the subsequent fight and friendship with the angry young man of the future – Vijay AKA Amitabh Bachchan. He turned good in the film but can’t omit this one Barkhurdaar. Chek out Raaka from Jis Desh Main Ganga Behti Hai for more villainy)
- Langda Tyagi (Omkara. Saif’s turnaround in Vishal Bharadwaj’s take on Shakespeare’s Othello happens once in a lifetime. Even Saif cannot better it)
- Commander Bhandra (Drohkaal. An educated rebel that one can almost root for, Ashish Vidyarthi’s Bhadra will always be his best performance)
- Prem Chopra (Bobby. Everybody knows ‘Prem hai mera naan…only a guest appearance but became his calling card)
- Kesariya Vilayati / Chappan Tikli (Ram Lakhan and Sir respectively. Gulshan Grover’s obsession with strange names and stranger get-ups definitely made some roles memorable)
- Ram Gopal Bajaj (Paresh Rawal. Andaz Apna Apna. Don’t remember? Patte Bicha Doonga…
- Ahuja/Taneja (Om Puri/Pankaj Kapoor.Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron. Ahuja/Taneja can exist only as a pair so perversely funny is their combination in this brilliant satire by Kundan Shah)
do feel free to contribute and make it into a comprehensive and interesting list.Thanks.